Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Oriental Country living dream

I am a nature lover and I love the kitchen atmosphere and if these two fascinations would be combined in a blueprint, it would produce a design of an oriental country living! Yeah, I adored oriental life, there's something in it that I am very fascinated with, maybe it's the way oriental people (Japanese, Korean, Chinese) practice wellness and healthy lifestyle. When I am in a restaurant, I always look for an oriental menu because it tastes so good and only on small portions without too much fats and starchy features unlike the Western meals.

So it's not surprising that when it comes to a home style, I prefer the oriental setting with lots of plants and flowers ( I admire also the French water garden home landscape).And yeah, I love to cook! It's been my dream to have my own house with a cozy kitchen adjacent to a beautiful garden landscaped in oriental plants and flowers. One of my earnest wishes is to build a small house in a countryside surrounded by trees and all the details magnifying nature and green atmosphere.

 A beautiful kitchen garden design complete with oriental details
This image was taken from the refreshment parlor within the Reunification Palace in Saigon, Vietnam. I was able to chill here with my friends one afternoon in January 2015 when we explored Saigon in one day. Such a cool atmosphere and I want to go back there! :-D

One of my favorite indulgences during the weekend when I am not on a road trip or when my focus is not on writing or reading is really cooking. I love experimenting recipes. Although I cut on meat and tried as much as I could not to consume red meat more than once every two weeks, I relish on lean meat and work on several recipes.

I am a certified seafood girl and I am religiously following a Mediterranean diet but my taste bud goes around with any kinds of meat, oh well, except exotic meat (like dog, snake, cat, rat, frog, zebra, giraffe, horse, leopard, lion, tiger, elephant, crocodile, dinosaur or similar to these toe-curling delicacies) but you know I eat Shark haha! Most folks detested Chevon (goat) meat but I love it and tried cooking Caldereta in pineapple and milk. It's so nutritious because goat has no saturated fat unlike pork and beef.

But I am an environmental advocate, I am strongly supporting groups that promote sustainable green environment (It always gives me a bad feeling every time I hear trees being cut) including animal preservation, so I am trying hard now to just consume seafood, fruits and vegetables.

Before I would go overboard with being a vegan, let's have some cozy moment at the kitchen first with this mouthwatering recipe. Teriyaki Chicken! Yum! I love oriental cuisine and one of my favorites is Teriyaki Chicken and did you know that creating this recipe is as simple as eating it too? 

Here's what I experimented for this home-made Teriyaki Chicken recipe, this is a simpler recipe and you can play it around with other ingredients if you want:



Ingredients:
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 garlic glove, minced
A quarter of ginger, minced
1 teaspoon pepper powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoon of canola oil or any vegetable oil
5 pieces of chicken breasts or drumsticks

Procedure:
1. In a bowl, mix soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, pepper powder.
2. Add chicken 
3. Marinate for 20 minutes
4. Heat frying pan, add canola oil
5. Add marinated chicken
6. Glaze with honey
7. Pour two tablespoons of the marinated sauce to glaze the chicken
8. When chicken is already golden remove from the pan. Set aside
9. Heat the remaining sauce, add cornstarch and minced ginger.
10. When consistency is reach, remove from heat.
11. Pour the Teriyaki sauce to chicken.
12. Served!
Others add wine into the recipe, you can experiment with this style, I am exploring this option also and want to try next time. Wine always adds flavor to food recipes even to pastries it gives a different spike when being added so it's a bit exciting and I cannot wait to cook another version with wine.

California Maki, a Japanese food that I am particularly obsessed
My oriental restaurant dining experience is really incomplete without Maki in the platter

However, if you wanna ask me what oriental food I am really craving and which I cannot go without when dining in an oriental, particularly Japanese, restaurant, it's MAKI!!! Yeah, all kinds of Maki, it is insanely scrumptious! 


No comments: