Valentine's Day 2014

As time goes by, the hype of this special day appears to be more like purely commercial rather than anything else.

Aside from building huge profits for restaurants, hotels, bake shops and the flower industry, the entertainment world has its own shares of lucrative revenue through concerts, musical plays and movie dates.

But whether it is over-commercialization or just a simple celebration of love, Valentine's day, no doubt is one of the most important special celebrations in a year that most people always look forward to, and oh yes, did I mention business establishments too? ^___^

And with all the hype of intense expression of love for this celebration, the moment this date of February arrives the atmosphere of the environment would sometimes transform into tension.

And most often than not, V-day causes so much anxieties among lovers. Why? Well, because unlike other special celebrations in a year, Valentine's day is only a one-day event so it's like you get a bouquet of flowers/a box of chocolate on that day or never, so lovers often caught up in the web of tension to come up with something special, luxurious and romantic. Pressure overrides excitement among people during this day. Except me hehe!

For the past two decades, the story of my Valentine's day remains the same. Nothing has change, Nothing to look forward to. But I am not bitter nor remorseful. I just accepted the fact that it's not for me and maybe could never spend it with a special someone in my lifetime. Cannot relate to the rosy excitement of couples when V-Day comes.

So what did I do yesterday while lovers in every corner of the world exchanged cute glances, romantic notes and flowers and chocolates? 

Nothing. What else is new?

It was just an ordinary day and I reported to work as usual. I woke up at 4:20 in the morning and prepared for my travel to McKinley, Taguig. It was a freezing early morning!

I left the house at 5:20 and caught a jeepney ride to Novaliches where I had to take another ride for Trinoma to be at the MRT station. Even though my work schedule is at 9:00 in the morning, I need to leave the house very early because the long queue at the MRT station gets heavier as the rush hour approaches.

Yeah, it was a normal day at work and did my usual routine. Towards afternoon. I received two Valentine text greetings, one from my mother and the other one from my friend, Juvy Panos. I left the office at 7:45 in the evening, quite very late because I forgot the passing of time haha!

I went to Magallanes MRT station and to my horror, the platform area was already flooded with commuters! It took almost an hour before I got in at MRT. It was during this time that I found myself a total stranger among women. All of them were either carrying a bouquet of flowers or a box of cake. When I arrived at Trinoma, I had to endure another round of standing in the long queue for a van ride. I saw couples around. Sweet and almost cuddling each other. Girls were either  clutching a bouquet of flowers or a box of whatever was that.

I spent the whole night of Valentine's day commuting! I arrived in Caloocan at 11:30. By the time I reached the house I was so extremely drained! But I did not go to sleep right away, had my dinner and watched the TV coverage of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

Wrapping V-Day with Winter Olympics

Even though my eyes were tired, I forced myself to stay awake so that I could watch the lone Philippine representative and the first Filipino Winter Olympian ever, Michael Christian Martinez, to perform in the ice rink. He was among the 24 competitors in the men's division of Figure Ice Skating. It was so awesome. I found him very charming and talented in the ice rink. It was so inspiring to hear the comments of foreign anchors at the Winter Olympics.

The commentators were all praised for the Filipino Winter Olympian, they said Martinez was a revelation in the ice rink to think that Philippines has no winter season. He did well, though he earned a 1 point deduction due to his fall on his first triple axel rotation. He got back on his feet and showed more spectacular rotations including the triple double toes, double flip, the biellman spin-unusual for men ice skater according to commentators- and all those swirling techniques.

He finished 19th at the finale of the event. The fact that the Philippines has no winter season and no delegates in the past Winter Olympics, Martinez's finished on the top 20 spot can be considered a stellar achievement. But more than his good performance, Martinez made history of being the first Filipino and Southeast Asian figure ice skater in the Winter Olympics.

I went to bed at 1:30 in the morning and by the time I drifted to sleep, valentine's day is over ^___^

Post a Comment

0 Comments